The Download PDF edition can be purchased at www.notendownload.com
The Four Seasons
for four trumpets in Bb
1. The Spring - La primavera
2. The Summer - L'estate
3. The Autumn - L'autunno
4. The Winter - L'inverno
Score incl. single parts
Difficulty: medium to difficult
"Concerto No. 1 in E major, Op. 8, RV 269, 'La primavera'"
3. Allegro Pastorale
1. Spring has come and joyfully the birds greet it with happy song, and the brooks, while the streams flow along with
gentle murmur as the zephyrs blow. There come, shrouding the air with a black cloak, lighting and thunder chosen
to herald [the storm] then, when these are silent, the little birds return to their melodious incantations.
2. And now, in the pleasant, flowery meadow, to the soft murmur of leaves and plants, the goatherd sleeps with his
faithful dog at his side.
3. To the festive sound of a pastoral bagpipe, nymphs and shepherds dance under their beloved roof, greeting the
glittering arrival of the spring.
"Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 8, RV 315, 'L'estate'"
1. Allegro non molto
2. Adagio e piano
3. Presto e forte
1. In the harsh season scorched by the sun, man and flock languish, and the pine is on fire the cuckoo begins to call and
soon after, the turtledove and the goldfinch are heard singing. Zephyr [the west wind] gently blows, but Boreas [the
north wind] suddenly enters into a contest with its neighbor, and the little shepherd weeps for he hears the awesome
threatening storm and his fate.
2. To his tired limbs rest is denied by the fear of lightning, awesome thunder, and the furious swarm of flies and hornets!
3. Alas, his fears are justified. The sky is filled with thunder and lightning and hail cuts down the proud grain.
"Concerto No. 3 in F major, Op. 8, RV 293, 'L'autunno'"
2. Adagio molto
1. The peasant celebrates the pleasure of the happy harvest with dances and songs and inflamed by the liquor of
Bacchus, many end their rejoicing with sleep.
2. The mild pleasant air makes all abandon dance and song this is the season that invites all to the sweet delights
of peaceful sleep.
3. The hunters, at the break of dawn, set forth with horns, guns, and hounds. The animal flees, and they follow its
tracks. Already frightened and tired by the great noise of guns and hounds, the wounded animal makes a weak
attempt at fleeing, but is overcome and dies.
"Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297, 'L'inverno'"
1. Allegro non molto
1. Trembling with cold amidst the freezing snow, while a frightful wind harshly blows, running and stamping one's
feet every minute, and feeling one's teeth chatter from the extreme cold
2. Spending quiet contented days by the fire while the rain outside drenches people by the hundreds
3. Walking on ice, and moving cautiously, with slow steps, for fear of falling, spinning around, slipping, falling down,
again walking on ice and running fast until the ice cracks and splits hearing Sirocco, Boreas, and all the winds at
war burst forth from the bolted doors - this is winter, but it also brings joy!